Outline of Joshua
Joshua chapter 1
- Jos 1:1-2. The Lord appoints Joshua to succeed Moses.
- Jos 1:3-4. The borders of the promised land.
- Jos 1:5-7. God promises to assist Joshua.
- Jos 1:8-9. He gives him instructions.
- Jos 1:10-11. Joshua prepares the people to pass over Jordan.
- Jos 1:12-15. He puts the two tribes and half in mind of their promise to Moses.
- Jos 1:16-18. They promise him fealty.
Joshua chapter 2
- Jos 2:1-7. Rahab receives and conceals the two spies sent from Shittim.
- Jos 2:8-22. The covenant between her and them.
- Jos 2:23-24. Their return and relation.
Joshua chapter 3
- Jos 3:1. Joshua comes to Jordan.
- Jos 3:2-6. The officers instruct the people for their passage.
- Jos 3:7-8. The Lord encourages Joshua.
- Jos 3:9-13. Joshua encourages the people.
- Jos 3:14-17. The water of Jordan are divided.
Joshua chapter 4
- Jos 4:1-8. Twelve men are appointed to take twelve stones for a memorial out of Jordan.
- Jos 4:9. Twelve other stones are set up in the midst of Jordan.
- Jos 4:10-13. The people pass over.
- Jos 4:14. God magnifies Joshua.
- Jos 4:15-19. The priests commanded to come out of Jordan.
- Jos 4:20-24. The twelve stones are pitched in Gilgal.
Joshua chapter 5
- Jos 5:1. The Canaanites are afraid.
- Jos 5:2-9. Joshua renews circumcision.
- Jos 5:10-11. The passover is kept at Gilgal
- Jos 5:12. They eat the corn of the land and the manna ceases.
- Jos 5:13-15. An angel appears to Joshua.
Joshua chapter 6
- Jos 6:1. Jericho is shut up.
- Jos 6:2-11. God instructs Joshua how to beseige it.
- Jos 6:12-16. The city is compassed.
- Jos 6:17-19. It must be accursed.
- Jos 6:20-21. The walls fall down.
- Jos 6:22-25. Rahab is saved.
- Jos 6:26-27. The builder of Jericho is cursed.
Joshua chapter 7
- Jos 7:1-5. The Israelites are smitten at Ai.
- Jos 7:6-9. Joshua's complaint.
- Jos 7:10-15. God instructs him what to do.
- Jos 7:16-18. Achan is taken by the lot.
- Jos 7:19-23. His confession.
- Jos 7:24-26. He and all he had are destroyed in the valley of Achor.
Joshua chapter 8
- Jos 8:1-2. God encourages Joshua.
- Jos 8:3-28. The stratagem whereby Ai was taken.
- Jos 8:29. The king thereof is hanged.
- Jos 8:30-31. Joshua builds an altar;
- Jos 8:32. writes the law on stones;
- Jos 8:33-35. and pronounces the blessings and curses.
Joshua chapter 9
- Jos 9:1-2. The kings combine against Israel.
- Jos 9:3-21. The Gibeonites by craft obtain a league.
- Jos 9:22-27. They are condemned to perpetual bondage.
Joshua chapter 10
- Jos 10:1-5. Five kings war against Gibeon.
- Jos 10:6-9. Joshua rescues it.
- Jos 10:10-11. God fights against them with hailstones.
- Jos 10:12-15. The sun and moon stand still at the word of Joshua.
- Jos 10:16-21. The five kings are mured in a cave.
- Jos 10:22-23. They are brought forth;
- Jos 10:24-25. scornfully used;
- Jos 10:26-27. and hanged.
- Jos 10:28-42. Seven kings more are conquered.
- Jos 10:43. Joshua returns to Gilgal.
Joshua chapter 11
- Jos 11:1-9. Divers kings overcome at the waters of Merom.
- Jos 11:10-15. Hazor is taken and burnt.
- Jos 11:16-20. All the country taken by Joshua.
- Jos 11:21-22. The Anakims cut off.
- Jos 11:23. The land rest from war.
Joshua chapter 12
- Jos 12:1-6. The two kings whose countries Moses took and disposed of.
- Jos 12:7-24. The one and thirty kings on the other side of Jordan which Joshua smote.
Joshua chapter 13
- Jos 13:1-7. The bounds of the land not yet conquered.
- Jos 13:8-13. The inheritance of the two tribes and half.
- Jos 13:14. The Lord and his sacrifices are the inheritance of Levi.
- Jos 13:15-21. The bounds of the inheritance of Reuben.
- Jos 13:22-23. Balaam slain.
- Jos 13:24-28. The bounds of the inheritance of Gad;
- Jos 13:29-33. and of the half tribe of Manasseh.
Joshua chapter 14
- Jos 14:1-5. The nine tribes and a half are to have their inheritance by lot.
- Jos 14:6-15. Caleb by privilege obtains Hebron.
Joshua chapter 15
- Jos 15:1-12. The borders of the lot Judah.
- Jos 15:13-15. Caleb's portion and conquest.
- Jos 15:16-17. Othniel, for his valour, hath Achsah, Caleb's daughter, to wife.
- Jos 15:18-20. She obtains a blessing of her father.
- Jos 15:21-62. The cities of Judah.
- Jos 15:63. The Jebusites unconquered.
Joshua chapter 16
Jos 16:1-4. The general borders of the sons of Joseph. Jos 16:5-9. The border of the inheritance of Ephraim. Jos 16:10. The Canaanites of Gezer not conquered. Joshua chapter 17 Jos 17:1-6. The lot of Manasseh. Jos 17:7-11. His coast. Jos 17:12-13. The Canaanites not driven out. Jos 17:14-18. The children of Joseph obtain another lot. Joshua chapter 18 Jos 18:1. The tabernacle is set up at Shiloh. Jos 18:2-9. The remainder of the land is described, and divided into seven parts. Jos 18:10. Joshua distributes it by lot. Jos 18:11-20. The lot and border of Benjamin. Jos 18:21-28. Their cities. Joshua chapter 19 Jos 19:1-9. The lot of Simeon; Jos 19:10-16. of Zebulun; Jos 19:17-23. of Issachar; Jos 19:24-31. of Asher; Jos 19:32-39. of Naphtali; Jos 19:40-48. of Dan. Jos 19:49-51. The children of Israel give an inheritance to Joshua. Joshua chapter 20 Jos 20:1-6. God commands, Jos 20:7-9. and the children of Israel appoint the six cities of refuge. Joshua chapter 21 Jos 21:1-42. Eight and forty cities given by lot, out of the other tribes, unto the Levites. Jos 21:43-45. God gives the land, and rest unto the Israelites, according to his promise. Joshua chapter 22 Jos 22:1-9. The two tribes and a half with a blessing are sent home. Jos 22:10. They build the altar of testimony in their journey. Jos 22:11-20. The Israelites are offended thereat. Jos 22:21-34. They vindicate their conduct, and give them good satisfaction. Joshua chapter 23 Jos 23:1-2. Joshua's exhortation before his death; Jos 23:3-4. by former benefits; Jos 23:5-10. by promises; Jos 23:11-16. and by threatenings. Joshua chapter 24 Jos 24:1. Joshua assembles the tribes at Shechem. Jos 24:2-13. A brief history of God's benefits, from Terah. Jos 24:14-25. He renews the covenant between them and God. Jos 24:26-28. A stone the witness of the covenant. Jos 24:29-31. Joshua's age, death, and burial. Jos 24:32. Joseph's bones are buried. Jos 24:33. Eleazar dies.