Word Study on Reprobate
A Word Study on Reprobate
American Tract Society Dictionary
Rejected as not enduring the test of worthiness, Jer 6:30. Some men are spoken of as reprobate even in this life, being hardened in sin and unbelief, Ro 1:28; 2Ti 3:8; Tit 1:16.
Easton’s Bible Dictionary
that which is rejected on account of its own worthlessness (Jer 6:30; Heb 6:8; Gr. adokimos, "rejected"). This word is also used with reference to persons cast away or rejected because they have failed to make use of opportunities offered them (1Co 9:27; 2Co 13:5-7).
THE ENGLISH WORD:
Four Times in Scripture
Jer 6:30 Reprobate silver shall men call them, because the LORD hath rejected them.
Ro 1:28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
2Ti 3:8 Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.
Tit 1:16 They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate.
HB03988. maw-as' a primitive root; to spurn; also (intransitively) to disappear:--abhor, cast away (off), contemn, despise, disdain, (become) loathe(some), melt away, refuse, reject, reprobate, X utterly, vile person.
FOUND IN 69 verses
TRANSLATED (truncated listing):
- Despise Lev. 26:15,43; Num. 11:20; Ju. 9:38…
- Cast Away Lev. 26:44; Job 8:20; Isa. 5:24; 30:12…
- Reject I Sam. 8:7; 10:19;15:23;16:1; 17:15,20 …
- Refused I Sam. 16:7; Job 34:33; Psalm 78:67 …
- Cast Off 2 Kings 23:27; Jer. 31:37; 33:24…
- Loathsome/Loathe Job 7:5,16…
- Abhor Job 42:6; Psalm 36:4; 78:59
- Vile Person Psalm 15:4
- Melt Away Psalm 58:7
- Reprobate Jer. 6:30
- Utterly Rejected Jer. 14:19; Lam. 5:22 (emph. by repetition)
- Contemneth Eze. 21:10,13
GR96. ad-ok'-ee-mos from 1 (as a negative particle) and 1384; unapproved, i.e. rejected; by implication, worthless (literally or morally):--castaway, rejected, reprobate.
FOUND IN 8 verses
TRANSLATED (complete listing):
- Reprobate Rom. 1:28; II Cor. 13:5,6,7; 2 Tim. 3:8; Tit. 1:16
- Cast away I Cor. 9:27
- Rejected Hebrews 6:8
CONCLUSIONS CONCERNING “REPROBATE” IN SCRIPTURE:
- Ungodly and unrighteous who hold the truth in unrighteousness Rom. 1:18-32
- Cannot Rightly Discern whether Christ is in them or not. 2 Cor. 13:5
- No Believer exempt from its danger; Great diligence must be exercised. I Cor. 9:27
- The life, which bears thorns instead of fruit, nigh to cursing and is to be burned. Heb. 6:8