The Lamb and the Dove
Text: John 1:29,32
John saw Jesus Coming unto Him Ps 113:6 Who humbleth himself to behold the things that are in heaven, and in the earth! The Lamb and the Dove John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. 32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him. 33 And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. 34 And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God.
---Matters How You View Christ. Vs. 33 That the Spirit would REMAIN on us! ---The Spirit Lifts up Jesus.
LAMB -->Characteristic of Christ (and we should be bearing Christ’s image and likeness.) Purity Meekness Patient (as a Lamb)
Isa 57:15 For thus saith the high and lofty One that inhabiteth eternity, whose name is Holy; I dwell in the high and holy place, with him also that is of a contrite and humble spirit, to revive the spirit of the humble, and to revive the heart of the contrite ones. The lowly servant of God as the sacrificial lamb to be the Saviour of the world. Abraham Isaac Jacob Faithful Saviour endued with Power of God to restore the throne of David. The dove remains on the Lamb; Jesus Christ The Lord,The Son of God. Two creatures are emphasized; The Lamb and the Dove give us a picture of what God wants us to be like I. The nature of the Lamb-What does a lamb represent in the bible?
- Humility, A life laid down in sacrifice
- Mercy through The Cross II. The nature of the Dove-What does a dove represent in the bible?
- Harmless, Timidity
- Peace and Holiness in The indwelling of the Holy Ghost John 1:29 The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. 1Co 5:7 Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: I. This Lamb is Christ our Passover who was sacrificed for us. 1Pe 1:18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; 19 But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: II. This Lamb is the precious blood of Christ which redeems us III. This Lamb is the Son given of God Jn. 1:34; Is. 9:6; I Jn. 4:14 IV. This Lamb takes away sin Jn. 1:29; Mat. 1:21; I Pt. 2:24; Heb. 9:27 Isa 53:6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. Isa 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. Ac 8:32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth: 1Pe 2:21 For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps: 22 Who did no sin, neither was guile found in his mouth: 23 Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously: 24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed. 25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls. (leader-Led, Guidance) 1Pe 5:3 Neither as being lords over God's heritage, but being ensamples to the flock. We as ministers must serve not dominate without help of the Holy Ghost. We as ministers must serve as a father to a child not dictate without compassion. How careful we need to be in reaction to the Lamb and the dove What kind of person will the dove remain upon. Ro 8:14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. Lambs must be led, The Lamb was one of the first animals that the human being began to raise as a domestic animal Texas leads sheep-raising, with over six million sheep being raised yearly.
- Australia takes the lead among the sheep raising countries, 120 million sheep raised yearly.
- Russia takes second place, with about 80 million
- Argentina with about 50 million.
- The USA with about 30 million head, occupies seventh place.
- England with about 20 million, holds tenth place. In Ancient Egypt, the lamb was idolized. It was one of the main idols of the Egyptian nation. We can therefore realize the self sacrificing courage of the Jews in Egypt when they obeyed God’s command, taking sheep - one lamb for each family II. The nature of the dove Harmless as Doves Doves are gentle–Doves don’t get rough, hiss, jeer, taunt, sneer, ridicule, disdain, scorn –Doves are Harmless–Doves don’t strike at each other. A. We should have the harmless, gentle and peaceful nature of Christ. Php 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world; Heb 7:26 For such an high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners, and made higher than the heavens; Song 2:14 O my dove, that art in the clefts of the rock, in the secret places of the stairs, let me see thy countenance, let me hear thy voice; for sweet is thy voice, and thy countenance is comely. Mt 3:16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him: Mr 1:10 And straightway coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens opened, and the Spirit like a dove descending upon him: Lu 3:22 And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased. John 1:32 And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him. B. We should have Christ and the Whole counsel of His Word as our foundation. C. “Wise as Serpents and Harmless as Doves” (Two phrases in one)- bringing out the Truth of a dual nature. · Wise as Serpents-Perfect Hatred - - - (fight of faith) · Harmless as doves-Perfect Love - - - (work of Love) Sheep not goats, Sheep not tigers, Sheep not wolves, Sheep not serpents, *(Sheep not doves) Mt 10:16 Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves. Sheep live 13yrs, bear young there first year and every year This Dove is the Holy Ghost and Power remaining on Jesus This Dove is the Holy Ghost and Power remaining on you Power Purity Perfection