Water Baptism Questions
- What is the purpose of water baptism?
A. Mat. 28:19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: (Luke 12:9; 1Jn.2:22-23)
- Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
- CAUTION; Gal.3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
- Mat.3:15 And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.
16 And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:
17 And lo a voice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
(Jesus is our example – the Perfect Pattern) If we have accepted Jesus Christ as our Lord and Saviour, We can believe for the Promise of the Father (The Indwelling of the Holy Ghost)
- Acts 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
- Water baptism is to impress on our mind what happened to us inwardly. Water baptism is for our benefit -- not God's. (Public Proof) A first step of obedience.
- Water baptism symbolizes that you have passed from death unto life.
- It is the physical sign that a person is identifying with Christ death and resurrection.
- It is a confession of faith before the world that you have repented and will obey and live for the Lord.
- Water Baptism and repentance are signs and both are commanded but water baptism must only be after repentance.
Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
5 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
Water Baptism must always follow repentance, never proceed, it should be an act of faith following repentance.
It is possible for a person to go to heaven like the dying thief without baptism but not without repentance.
It is possible for a person not making it to heaven by refusing to be baptized.
- A Testimony to the world that you have accepted Jesus Christ the Son of the Living God as your Lord and Saviour. Water baptism is a picture-sermon of what God has done in you.
- Only those who have already accepted the Lordship of Jesus Christ should be baptized in water.
- Acts 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.
- 1Cor. 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
Water baptism is the initiatory sign and seal into the covenant of grace. As circumcision referred to the cutting away of sin and to a change of heart (Deut. 10:16; 30:6; Jer. 4:4; 9:25,26; Ezek.44:7,9) baptism refers to the washing away of sin.
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
1Peter 3:21 The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
Titus 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
John 3:5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
Romans 6:4 Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.
Col 2:11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: 12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
- The circumcision of the heart is signified by the circumcision of the flesh.
- Spiritual renewal is testified through Water Baptism.
Water Baptism is an outward sign of an inward work of God changing us.
Gal. 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
Holy Ghost Baptism is God clothing us with His Himself.
His Power, Wisdom, Righteousness, Love, Divine Nature and Glory
Gal.3:26 For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.
a "son", kinship:--child,.
Gal. 4:1—Now I say, That the heir, as long as he is a child, differeth nothing from a servant, though he be lord of all;
7—Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
1John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.