Character over Marble
- Every man should leave a monument behind him, in the mind of his friends.
- A Good Character is the best Tombstone.
- Carve your name on hearts and not on marble.
- Better to give bread to the poor than stone’s to the dead.
- Better to visit while they are alive than to bring flowers when their dead.
Don't Let These be your Epitaph
The no good
- “Here lies a man who did no good and if he lived he never would,
where he is gone nobody knows and how he fares nobody cares.”
- “Gentle reader gentle reader, look on the spot where I do lie,
I always was a very good feeder but now the worms do feed on I.”
- “Here lies, returned to clay Miss Clara Bella Young,
who on the first of May began to hold her tongue.”
The working man
- “The Lord saw good I was topping off wood, and down fell from the tree
I met with a check and broke my blessed neck and so death topped off me.”
- ”I have played the fool”
- “Died as a fool died”
- “Only went to school to learn to be a fool.”
- Absalom's place.
- The field of blood. Judas “ his own place,”
Let it be like these
Job 42:12 So the LORD blessed the latter end of Job more than his beginning
2Ti 4:7 I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: 8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.
De 34:7 And Moses was an hundred and twenty years old when he died: his eye was not dim, nor his natural force abated. 10 And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,
Joh 21:22 Jesus saith unto him, If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? follow thou me.
Joh 11:25 Jesus said unto her, I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die. Believest thou th is?
Re 12:11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.