A Fire Kindled Within
text: Luke 24:13-32
Luke 24:32 — And they said one to another, Did not our heart burn within us, while he talked with us by the way, and while he opened to us the scriptures?
Acts 4:13 — Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus.
- There is more, HE IS TO BE PRECIOUS to us.
- The capacity to feel deeply and love Jesus passionately is PRICELESS gift.
- This FIRE is a purifying experience. where the REALITY of GOD IS BREAKING THROUGH THE UNBELIEF.
- and it is for you. A FULL ASSURANCE of FAITH
1. So Many Things Were Happening
Jesus was arrested in the Garden of Prayer
A long night followed of the JUDGMENT of JESUS (what is going to happen? Is this really happening?)
Then a sober reality settled in when Jeus cried out IT IS FINISHED and breathed his last break. -- They pierced his precious side, and gambled for his robes
The lifeless body of Jesus was buried in the tomb.
3 days NOW:
- Rumors have started to travel: STOLEN, MISSING, SOMEONE SAW AN Angel, others saw no angel visiting the tomb?
- Much DOUBT, UNBELIEF, was there ever anything to this at all?
- They had HOPE but that hope was buried in a tomb.
Lu 24:21 But we trusted that it had been he which should have redeemed Israel: and beside all this, to day is the third day since these things were done.
2. Two Men Walked and Talked and were BLIND / VIELED
vs. 13 score furlongs = ~7 miles
v.15 While they communed JESUS HIMSELF DREW NEAR
v. 16 Their eyes were HOLDEN, to sieze, to lay hand on (kept them from recognizing him)
v.17 What manner of communcations are these --- they you talk and walk and are sad?
v. 25 "O FOOLS" and "SLOW OF HEART to Believe"
Why is it we are SLOW TO BELIEVE?
- This present world is our greatest reality. - A Spiritual Birth is needed
- The carnal mind is the enemy of God and we stack so much confidence in it. THE TWO MEN TRUSTED THEIR EYES MORE THAN THE CONVICTION IN THEIR HEARTS.
- We have done our Math wrong. this + that = THE END (The printer WORKS sis. Elaine!)
Robert Robinson walked in darkness for 3 years refusing to believe.
3. Two Men were MUCH AFFECTED by His presence and His Word - Hearts Burn
- Isaiah watched in amazement as the angels Cried Holy (Isaiah 6)
- John fell down at His feet as a dead man (Rev. 1:17)
- These men on the road to Emmaus hearts BURNED within them
- We cannot truly love God without his kind of an influence (it is NOT in us)
- We cannot PURELY and WHOLY love anything without such a spiritual awakening.
JOHN WESLEY & ALDERSGATE MEETINGS: "60 of our brethren were present at our love feast at Fetter Lane. About three in the morning, as we were continuing instant in prayer, the power of God came mightily upon us insomuch that many cried out for exceeding joy and many fell to the ground. As soon as we were recovered a little from that awe and amazement at the presence of His majesty, we broke out with one voice, 'We praise Thee, O God, we acknowledge Thee to be the Lord.'".
v.32 "hearts burn within us" Inner Conviction
His word was in our heart as a burning fire
I didn't know what was happening to me at the time. BURNED / to kindle to burn
At the time, We could not understand the light, love, glory that ravished our hearts; but now we do."
when we are much affected with the things of God, especially with the love of Christ in dying for us, and have our hearts thereby drawn out in love to him, and drawn up in holy desires and devotions, then our hearts burn within us;
- Has God Been Speaking to you?