A Word and a Plumb Line
TEXT: Zechariah 4:1-14
Zechariah 4:1-3 — 1 And the angel that talked with me came again, and waked me, as a man that is wakened out of his sleep. 2 And said unto me, What seest thou? And I said, I have looked, and behold a candlestick all of gold, with a bowl upon the top of it, and his seven lamps thereon, and seven pipes to the seven lamps, which are upon the top thereof: 3 And two olive trees by it, one upon the right side of the bowl, and the other upon the left side thereof.
4-14 — So I answered and spake to the angel that talked with me, saying, What are these, my lord? 5 Then the angel that talked with me answered and said unto me, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord. 6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts. 7 Who art thou, O great mountain? before Zerubbabel thou shalt become a plain: and he shall bring forth the headstone thereof with shoutings, crying, Grace, grace unto it. 8 Moreover the word of the LORD came unto me, saying, 9 The hands of Zerubbabel have laid the foundation of this house; his hands shall also finish it; and thou shalt know that the LORD of hosts hath sent me unto you. 10 For who hath despised the day of small things? for they shall rejoice, and shall see the plummet in the hand of Zerubbabel with those seven; they are the eyes of the LORD, which run to and fro through the whole earth. 11 Then answered I, and said unto him, What are these two olive trees upon the right side of the candlestick and upon the left side thereof? 12 And I answered again, and said unto him, What be these two olive branches which through the two golden pipes empty the golden oil out of themselves? 13 And he answered me and said, Knowest thou not what these be? And I said, No, my lord. 14 Then said he, These are the two anointed ones, that stand by the LORD of the whole earth.
This vision of the Golden Lampstand, Golden Bowl and the two Trees is a picture of God's METHOD of working through and in his people. The vision is declaring how the work of God is to be done.
- What we don't understand of the Scripture, gets us asking the right questions.- - - "please don't be like the world"
- Understanding How God Works
1. A Sleeping Man, v.1 (Are we listening with our heart? AS one that has been quickened? )
Ephesians 5:14 — Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.
- He was tired
- In the beginning they did have joy and excitement
- But task seemed insurmountable and the were discouraged WHAT COULD THEY BUILD?
- Haggai comes by and prophesies to get back to the work.
- He points out their failed crops as being the result of having their priorities messed up.
- You have put yourselves first and God Second.
- Lets get back and rebuild the temple.
- Zurrubabel then is a part of this continuation of the rebuilding of the temple.
- The mountain of rubble is still there.
- God gives this vision to Zechariah in chapter 4.
2. A Vision of God's Method, A Word, v.2-3, 11-14 (HOW THE WORK OF GOD IS TO BE DONE)
- By My Spirit, the unbroken flow of the oil
- "This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel" v.6-10
6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts.
- The Means of the Completed Work, v.4-7 (CRY GRACE, vs.7)
- THE SPIRIT OF GOD TURNS THE MESSAGE AROUND: 7 Who art thou, O great mountain? before Zerubbabel thou shalt become a plain:
3. The Work Will be Completed, v.8,9
4. Small Things, v.10
5. A Plumbline, v.10 && The Eyes of the Lord (Seven), v.10
- armed with A Word and a Plumbline
FOUNDATION laid will be finished ... Phil. 1:6-8 ..he they has begun a good work in you will finish it
- The eyes of the Lord
Eyes of the Lord ... To asa the king ... A fuller quote ... Don't you know the eyes of the Lord go to and fro ... ---> to show himself strong on behalf this ehise heard are perfect towards him ...whose heart despite the failures past are set on God's ideal Having d having discovered that we can't do it is a good thing because it's not by might that's the first part of the lesson the second part of the lesson and still are and that it's by the spirit
- The Lord saw it BEFORE it happened
- Zurrababel by faith sees it BEFORE it happened
- IF Zurrabel does, then others will rejoice in seeing the plummet in his hand
[plummet: a plumb line]