1 Pe 3:15 — But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
1. Do I know what I'm talking about?
a. Man’s need –
In Romans 3:23, God says that we are all sinners.
- Has anyone never sinned? (told a lie?)
- “How many lies does it take to make a liar?”
Researchers say, The average person lies a minimum of once to twice per day. They call these "normal" liars. Most people are honest. Recent research shows that the majority of lies are told by the same, small group of people known as "prolific liars." — 5+ lies a day (They tell 19.1 lies for every one big lie told by an average person).
- Is it enough to just 'keep it under 5'?
b. Sin's penalty –
No, because there is a spiritual penalty for sin and not just social ones.
Rom. 6:23a “For the wages of sin is death…”
- This death is a great separation from God. The wages will either come to us or Christ on the cross.
c. God's gift –
Romans 6:23 “…But the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ… God has a gift for every one that believes. You can’t earn it; you must accept Him or reject Him.
John 1:12 — But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
- Where is the gift – How can I get it ? Where can I find it?
- The gift is in a Person—Jesus.
I John 5:12; John 1:12; II Cor. 5:17
- Salvation is not in a church or a minister.
I John 5:2 – Salvation is in the SON
Our confidence as witness, is our confidence in Him and not ourselves.
- The gift of Eternal Life is in the Son. God wants us to have eternal life and not perish.
- Faith makes the difference. Our Faith must be in Jesus. Believing and receiving work together.
If I say you may have this gift. It is yours because I gave it to you, but will not benefit you as much was when you receive it into your possession.
That is the way it is with the gift of Eternal Life. You must receive Jesus in your heart – not just believe, but RECEIVE.
John 1:12—“But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on His name.”
d. Man's action –
Revelations 3:20 — “I stand at the door and knock.”
- How to receive Him – Jesus stands at our hearts door wanting to come in, but you have to open the door and receive Him in.
- "Jesus came into my heart."
- Nowhere does Scripture specifically refer to “praying to accept Jesus into your heart” but Romans 10:9,10 does say we must 'believe in our heart' and 'confess with our mouth'. This phrase is not antibiblical if it is coupled with the messages of faith and repentance.
Luke 13:3 — I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish.
2. A Christian is not merely someone who 'asked Jesus into their heart'
“If someone was to ask you, ‘What is a Christian?’ What would you say?”
A Christian is one that goes to church, does his best, baptized, a good citizen, is kind, reads the Bible, pays his bills, is one that prays, s one that has good morals.
“Yes, a Christian does that, but what is a Christian?” Some believe that a Christian is one that **doesn’t** drink, smoke, lie, cheat, steal, fight, doesn’t go to the movies, dances, game rooms. No – that is a fence post. Christian living is not a matter of can or cannot, does or does not, but ultimately **will or won’t!**
- Will you acknowledge your need of God? You are a sinner and condemned because of it.
- What will you do with Jesus?
The Prayer of faith is not an 'incantation' or magic.
A Christian is not merely someone who 'asked Jesus into their heart' (Requiring mere intelectual assent): Romans 10:9,10; Matthew 5:13-16; Luke 14:26-35; Acts 10:38,39; Acts 4:13
Acts 11:26 — And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch.
- follower of Christ
1Pe 2:21 — For even hereunto were ye called: because Christ also suffered for us, leaving us an example, that ye should follow his steps:
1 Cor. 11:1 — Be ye followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.
- a discpiple of Jesus
John 8:31 — Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;
John 13:35 — By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.
3. Witnessing is not Debate Tricks
- Witnessing is shining the light within you. -- Living Loudly for jesus is the most effective witness.
- It is communicating the reason of your hope. -- Not why the pastor is a Christian, What has God done in YOUR life? How as God dealt with you?
1Pe 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
- There is always SOMEONE able to trip you up in a debate or a comparison of knowledge.
- Be humble, be honest.
- As a matter of the heart, ground is already one if someone's thoughts are brought upon Christ.
- Winning Souls: Bringing to the knowledge of God
Proverbs 11:0 — The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.
- NOT HIGH PRESSURE SALES tactics. Not pressured decisions, better to let the Holy Ghost do the saving. Why is it necessary to make appeals at all? Because people don’t normally just make decisions out of the blue.
4. Get Some Experience
- Talk to People
- "standing on a street corner yelling at people or walking up to people telling them they’re going to hell isn’t the most effective way to evangelize"
How does a fisherman catch fish? Where should you fish? When should you fish? What tools do you need to fish? etc. How do you know all these things?
He must be a fisherman – Experience
He must go – Patience
He must be prepared – Ability
Prov. 11:30 Dan. 12:3 Mark 16:15 I Peter 4:11
Acts 2:46, 47 — Ac 2:46 And they, continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart, 47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.
5. Salvation is within a Person
- It is firstly, an inward and spiritual thing
Salvation is an EXPERIENCE.
Salvation is not just believing something. It is receiving Christ. What does it take to make a millionaire? One must have a million dollars. What does it take to be a Christian? One must HAVE Christ.
H – Heaven A – Accepted V – Vicariously E – Effected
Salvation involves the whole man.
I John 5:12 John 1:12 II Cor. 5:17
Man is made up of three parts –
|Today many have intellectual conversions. They believe Christ died with a mental consent and believe they are saved.||"Feel Something". Walk by faith not feeling. Some fear God and what the Spirit is doing and cry out to the Lord, but don't accept Him as Lord.||Will. To accept Christ you must be willing.|
|Believing truths about Christ.||Feeling and fearing things.||Matthew 16:24|
6. Soul winning is introducing a person to Jesus.
- Making Introductions
John the Baptist introduced Jesus to the world.
We must introduce Him to people – using a plan.
II Tim. 4:2; I Peter 3:15; Col. 4:6; Luke 4:18; Acts 8:30
Two things to depend on in introducing Christ.
The Word of God – Your Bible
I Peter 1:23; John 6:63
The Spirit of God – The Holy Ghost
You speak the Word and the Holy Spirit will complete the work. If you do your part, He will do His. Ps. 29:4; Heb. 4:12; Eph. 6:17
Summmary of the Soul-winning Plan
Are you interested in Spiritual things?
Have you ever thought about becoming a Christian?
If someone was to ask you what is a Christian, what would you say?
Gather as many examples from them as you can without it being obnoxious.
“Yes, a Christian does that, but what is a Christian?” (Remember not to start an argument.) If they are answering with ease and interested, listen for what they believe.
Would it be all right if I showed you what the Bible says a Christian is?
Rom. 3:23 – The Bible says “for all have sinned” Every sinner must acknowledge his sin and need for the Savior to be a Christian.
a) Man’s need –
Rom. 3:23; Rev. 21:8; Man is sinful and spiritually dead. Spiritual death is separation from God.
b) Sin’s penalty –
Rom. 6:23 – For the wages of sin is death… The wages will either come to us or on Christ on the cross.
c) God’s gift –
Rom. 6:23 Jesus died for all. John 1:12 – The gift of eternal life is in receiving Jesus.
d) Place of the gift –
John 1:12 Faith makes the difference. Believing, receiving, and becoming a child of God. Rev. 3:20 “Open the door” (Jesus is knocking at your heart’s door.)
e) Man’s action –
Rev. 3:20 Jesus is knocking. With a slight knock on the heart say, “Jesus is now knocking on your heart’s door and wants to come in, but you have to open the door and receive Him in.”-----Pause-----
The Decision –
Then ask, with a slight nod of the head, “Wouldn’t you like to receive Jesus as your Savior?”Jesus is standing and knocking. If their claim to be a Christian is questionable, ask them:
“Are you in right standing with Jesus and living in obedience to His Word?”
Test them with the Word.