Ask Rain of the Lord
TEXT: Zechariah 10:1,2
Zechariah 10:1,2 — Ask ye of the LORD rain in the time of the latter rain; so the LORD shall make bright clouds, and give them showers of rain, to every* one grass in the field. 2 For the idols have spoken vanity, and the diviners have seen a lie, and have told false dreams; they comfort in vain: therefore they went their way as a flock, they were troubled, because there was no shepherd.
At the heart of this message from God through His prophet Jeremiah is a command/invitation to PRAY — "Ask Ye of the LORD rain"
context: 487 BC. PROPHETIC but also PRINCIPLE v2. FOR the idols have spoken vanity...no shepherd CONTRAST "I WILL" "I AM" -- after Babylonian captivity there returned only 2 Tribes "Judah" the second, Northern Half, Israel (10 tribes) was DISPERSED, SCATTERED.
- God Loves to Bless, GOD IS GOOD
- We must APPROACH God - Do we desire HIS BLESSING?
- Are we still an expectant people? We need REvival so that God's word is seen as true and the idols as VANITY.
"God so work Your people, that the world could witness the TRUTHFULNESS of God in their lives."
- I. Ask Rain of the Lord - a charge, command, invition to ask
- II. Ask Rain of the Lord - What is blessing we can expect?
- III. Ask Rain of the Lord - Do we know we are talking to?
I. Ask Rain of the Lord - a charge, command, invition to ask
- It is not out of order to ask God for HIS BLESSING! FULLNESS
- We are COMMANDED and INVITED to ask
a. Waiting, Expecting
Romans 12:12 — Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
to be earnest towards, (to a thing) to persevere, be constantly diligent, or (in a place) to attend assiduously all the exercises:
attend (give self) continually (upon),
continue (in, instant in, with),
wait on (continually).
to WAIT is to be open (sensetively aware) to God's presence.
to expect fully
Ro 8:25 But if we hope for that we see not, then do we with patience wait for it.
b. Rain (What are we commanded, invited to ask for?)
- There were two major rains on which they organized their farming:
- The First (Early) Rain (November) was the SEED TIME rain
- The Second (Latter) Rain (April) was the RIPENING TIME rain
- In the time : in the last time, in that season of RIPENING
- Not "storm chasers"
- Revival is a "bringing to life again" --- there is a CRITICISM in here
- Latter Rain (best, double blessing, it rained twice)
- Bright Clouds: Lightening: Revelation, truth
- If God is blessing you, there should be evidence
II. Ask Rain of the Lord - What is blessing we can expect?
God Loves to Bless - He Makes Promises - What is Provided from Him? What blessings can we WAIT upon? So that we can SHOW FORTH THE POWER OF GOD. FULLNESS.
Ephesians 1:3 — Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:
- BUT WHY, what motivations would OMNIPOTENT,OMNISCIENT,OMNIPRESENT God have to bless you? Hebrews 11:6 It is HIs nature -- He is a rewarder
HYMN: There is a fountain filled with blood; Drawn from Immanuel’s veins;
- v.3 Hath Visited His Flock -- to JUDAH & to Israel (will unite, Ezek. 37)
- v.3 Goodly Horse in Battle -- well fitted, everything he would need
- v.4 The Cornerstone & Nail (Tent Peg) -- foundation, structure being built, temple --- WORSHIP HE IS THE FOUNDATION of OUR WORSHIP -- Worship of God makes our lives better rather than worse. A WORTHY GOD.
- v.4 OUT OF HIM the battle bow -- In Allying with God, there is going to be opposition but God supplies the weapons of our warefare
- v.4 Every Oppressor together -- God even supplies the victory
- v.5 TRANSFORMATION of his people: (HEROES, POWER) mighty men, as enemy under their feet and might as is WITH them
- v.5 Shame those that TRUST IN HORSES
- v.6 Make Strong (HEROES) Unite Judah & House of Joseph (Northern Tribes) (its been 2800 years so far!)
- v.6 I WILL SAVE Redemption -- because He is MERCIFUL
- v.6 PERFECT FAITHFULNESS OF GOD as though I DID NOT CAST THEM OFF -- WITH YOU, I WILL NOT LEAVE --- "Honey, don't ever leave me."
- v.7-12 TO ISREAL EPHRAIM is prophetic, 2 sons of Jospeh (ephraim (younger) and mannasseh (older)) - "THE BLESSING" -- "THE COVENANT PROMISE" MESSIAH redemption IN THE LORD
- "HISS"/"WHISTLE" call to them and gather them
- v.10, bring again (3x's I will gather them)
- v.10 "no place shall be found" Israel will have to broaden its tent
- God will remove all the oposition, God is going to do it anyway
Zec 10:12 And I will strengthen them in the LORD; and they shall walk up and down in his name, saith the LORD.
III. Ask Rain of the Lord - Do we know we are talking to?
Is it not Time?
*NOT APPROACHING GOD but...
- seeking future, justice, sorcerers in VAIN
- .. those that follow are AFFLICTED, TORTURED, SUFFER ... no SHEPHERD (vs. 3 goats, rejected leaders)
- Bad Theology is a sympton of the people of God losing sight of their Shepherd.
The Name of the LORD
LORD - JEHOVAH - SELF EXISTENT ONE - the Eternal One, the Unchangeable One, the One Who was, and is, and is to come. - told Moses "I am that I am"
Jews came to appreciate this as God's "personal name" --- The Jews were so concerned about using this name in vain that they would not even pronounce it when reading the Bible aloud.
Ancient Jewish Rabbi Saul, "one who pronounces the divine name with its letters has no share in the World to Come."
This Prohibition is inspired from the 3rd command. but is not explicity given in Scripture. However, the sense of reverence and awe that God is deserving of MUST BE BE LOST ON US.
They used substitutions: Adonai (Lord), Elohim (God), HaShem (The Name) or Shem Hameforash (The Special Name) and in writing abbreviated as JVWH or YVWH so that we really don't know what to pronounce it! (used 5,410 times in Bible).
I am, “He-Who-Is,” or “He who brings being into being.”
There are compounds of this name used: 1) JEHOVAH ELOHIM: SUPREME GOD; 2) JEHOVAH JIREH: The LORD will PROVIDE; 3) JEHOVAH RAPHA:The LORD my HEALER 4) JEHOVAH NISSI: The LORD is my BANNER; 5) JEHOVAH SHALOM: The LORD is my PEACE; 6) JEHOVAH RAAH: The LORD is my SHEPHERD; 7) JEHOVAH TSIDKENU: The LORD our RIGHTEOUSNESS; 8) JEHOVAH SABAOTH: The LORD of HOSTS; 9) JEHOVAH SHAMMAH: The LORD is THERE