When Safety is Far From You
TITLE: When Safety is Far From You
TEXT: Genesis 28:10-22, v.16
16 ¶ And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the LORD is in this place; and I knew it not.
THESIS: God is an ever present help and we can abide in His presence. When safety is far from us, we can enter his presence! The Impossible has been spanned by Christ. FAITH CAN ALWAYS TOUCH GOD.
- Jacob Running for His Life
[trying to swim to the island, I panicked and tired so the canoe came to me.]
- Vulnerable, Fearful, Great Distress
Jacob is RUNNING for his life. (That old trickster, supplanter) With the help of his mother, has dug his own grave!
- Jacob Far from Safety
- Luz “separation; departure; almond tree”
- Luz was about 48 miles from Beer-sheba; too great a journey for one day,
- Luz was undoubtedly his destination, but the sun was setting…
Most people live their lives entirely without the presence of God.
- “…and I knew it not!”
- This is a very dark place, but our eyes can become accustomed to the darkness!
- This always is evidence of our own ignorance and unbelief— ‘unaware’ of God.
- Most people never even think of God in the general course of day.
- The mole is not born without eyes or born blind, but has very good eyes. They merely deteriorate for lack of use.
- Jacob wasn’t going to make it to the sanctuary of LUZ, but God gave him a dream! God with us wherever we are!
- It was IMPOSSIBLE for Jacob to make it, so God showed him a ladder (staircase) built! (Jesus)
- This ladder speaks of Christ: By him God comes down to man; through him man ascends to God. Our Lord applies the vision in this way himself, 1st, In that remarkable speech to Nathanael, Hereafter ye shall see the heaven opened, and the angels of God ascending and descending on the Son of man, Joh 1:51
- Emanuel_—God with us_
All the while Jacob was doing his own thing trying to secure blessing through deception and trickery, God was at work.-angels ascending and decending.—much activity going on in the spiritual realm.
God coming down to man.
God is omnipresent:
- Jer 23:24 Can any hide himself in secret places that I shall not see him? saith the LORD. Do not I fill heaven and earth? saith the LORD.
- Ac 17:27 That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
- Ps 46:1 ¶ <<To the chief Musician for the sons of Korah, A Song upon Alamoth.>> God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble
- God was THERE ALL THE TIME.
After the dream, Jacob’s entire attitude changed. His fear turned to faith. His deceptive ways to commitment to God.
- This is a dreaful place!
- Oil on a Rock!? (SANCTIFICATION)
- A Monument!?
GOD IS IN THIS PLACE.
- Ps 100:4 Enter into his gates with thanksgiving, and into his courts with praise: be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
NOTHING ELSE MATTERS WHEN KNOW YOU ARE IN THE PRESENCE OF GOD.
- Praise, Prayer, Faith, Seem fanatical to the world but that isbecause they can’t see---GOD IS IN THIS PLACE!
Ge 28:10 ¶ And Jacob went out from Beersheba, and went toward Haran. 11 And he lighted upon a certain place, and tarried there all night, because the sun was set; and he took of the stones of that place, and put them for his pillows, and lay down in that place to sleep. 12 And he dreamed, and behold a ladder set up on the earth, and the top of it reached to heaven: and behold the angels of God ascending and descending on it. 13 And, behold, the LORD stood above it, and said, I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father, and the God of Isaac: the land whereon thou liest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed; 14 And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth, and thou shalt spread abroad to the west, and to the east, and to the north, and to the south: and in thee and in thy seed shall all the families of the earth be blessed. 15 And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of. 16 ¶ And Jacob awaked out of his sleep, and he said, Surely the LORD is in this place; and I knew it not. 17 And he was afraid, and said, How dreadful is this place! this is none other but the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven. 18 And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it. 19 And he called the name of that place Bethel: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first. 20 And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, 21 So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: 22 And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.