Considering the Poor
TEXT: Psalm 41:1
- Sowing a seed for your help.
- If Jesus has saved you, there is always someone you can help.
- What can we do and what should we do when aware of a need is something every Christian does and should wrestle with. What problems are created if we just give to EVERY need?
- Can this be used as just an 'excuse' not to give or help?
- Sometimes we ignore a problem hoping it will be solved without our intervention.
- "Out of sight out of mind." DOES NOT EQUAL "absence makes the heart grow stronger" <-- A study into the heart of man.
- Jesus went about doing good:
Acts 10:38 — How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
- Consider/SAKAL is linked to the fear of God:
Psalm 64:9 — And all men shall fear, and shall declare the work of God; for they shall wisely consider of his doing.
- Consider/SAKAL the house of the wicked:
Proverbs 21:12 — The righteous man wisely considereth the house of the wicked: but God overthroweth the wicked for their wickedness.
- We have a responsibility to our fellow man.
- Husbands Love your wives
- If we give merely carnally we can hurt ourselves, but if we give Biblically we will prosper. We can give beyond our ability. "beyond their power"
2 Corinthians 8:2,3 — How that in a great trial of affliction the abundance of their joy and their deep poverty abounded unto the riches of their liberality. 3 For to their power, I bear record, yea, and beyond their power they were willing of themselves;
The Macedonians, though both poor and persecuted, rejoiced exceedingly that an opportunity was afforded them of doing good to their more impoverished and more persecuted brethren. We can scarcely ever speak of poverty and affliction in an absolute sense; they are only comparative. Even the poor are called to relieve those who are poorer than themselves; and the afflicted, to comfort those who are more afflicted than they are. The poor and afflicted Churches of Macedonia felt this duty, and therefore came forward to the uttermost of their power to relieve their more impoverished and afflicted brethren in Judea. — Adam Clarke Commentary
- One Hebrew lexicon defines sakal as "to look at; to look at with the mind; to consider; to attend to. To be or become intelligent, prudent, or wise."
- a process: It begins with (1) looking at something, then (2) mentally investigating it, and finally, all the way to (3) attending to it with the effect of (4) maturity of understanding or judgment.
- We can now plug these definitions back into verse 1: "Blessed is he who intelligently, prudently, or wisely, with maturity of understanding and judgment, considers the poor."
- "Blessed is he who sees a need, and then looking at the complex situation surrounding it, thinks through how he could best, most intelligently, and wisely bring about a successful solution to it."
- [Forerunner Commentary] It is not just seeing a problem that needs fixing. It is seeing a situation—a person in need—then taking stock and determining what one has to give that will fulfill what the other person really needs, investigating the needy person's situation and attitude (as much as possible), considering God's involvement, and extrapolating what actions and methods one may take to produce the best possible solution. After all that, one must actually do what needs to be done to bring the situation to a successful conclusion. -- Richard T. Ritenbaugh in "If I Have Not Charity"
Word Study: SAKAL
- ... to make one wise ... Genesis 3:6;
- ... guiding his hands wittingly ... Genesis 48:14
- ... that ye may prosper ... Deuteronomy 29:9
- ... consider their latter end! Deuteronomy 32:29
- ... thou mayest prosper ... Joshua 1:7; 1Kings 2:3
- ... and then thou shalt have good success. Joshua 1:8
- ... behaved himself wisely ... 1 Samuel 18:5,14
- ... (1) that he behaved ... (2) wisely ... 1 Samuel 18:15
- ... behaved himself more wisely ... 1 Samuel 18:30
- ... he prospered ... 2 Kings 18:7
- ... made me understand ... 1 Chronicles 28:19
- ... And Hezekiah spake comfortably unto all the Levites that taught the good knowledge of the LORD: and they did eat throughout the feast seven days, offering peace offerings, and making confession to the LORD God of their fathers. ... 2 Chronicles 30:22 Ne 8:13 ¶ And on the second day were gathered together the chief of the fathers of all the people, the priests, and the Levites, unto Ezra the scribe, even to understand the words of the law. Ne 9:20 Thou gavest also thy good spirit to instruct them, and withheldest not thy manna from their mouth, and gavest them water for their thirst. Job 22:2 Can a man be profitable unto God, as he that is wise may be profitable unto himself? Job 34:27 Because they turned back from him, and would not consider any of his ways: Job 34:35 Job hath spoken without knowledge, and his words were without wisdom. Ps 2:10 ¶ Be wise now therefore, O ye kings: be instructed, ye judges of the earth. Ps 14:2 The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. Ps 32:8 I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye. Ps 36:3 The words of his mouth are iniquity and deceit: he hath left off to be wise, and to do good. Ps 41:1 ¶ <<To the chief Musician, A Psalm of David.>> Blessed is he that considereth the poor: the LORD will deliver him in time of trouble. Ps 47:7 For God is the King of all the earth: sing ye praises with understanding. Ps 53:2 God looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, that did seek God. Ps 64:9 And all men shall fear, and shall declare the work of God; for they shall wisely consider of his doing. Ps 94:8 Understand, ye brutish among the people: and ye fools, when will ye be wise? Ps 101:2 I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. O when wilt thou come unto me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart. Ps 106:7 Our fathers understood not thy wonders in Egypt; they remembered not the multitude of thy mercies; but provoked him at the sea, even at the Red sea. Ps 119:99 I have more understanding than all my teachers: for thy testimonies are my meditation. Pr 1:3 To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity; Pr 10:5 ¶ He that gathereth in summer is a wise son: but he that sleepeth in harvest is a son that causeth shame. Pr 10:19 ¶ In the multitude of words there wanteth not sin: but he that refraineth his lips is wise. Pr 14:35 ¶ The king's favour is toward a wise servant: but his wrath is against him that causeth shame. Pr 15:24 ¶ The way of life is above to the wise, that he may depart from hell beneath. Pr 16:20 ¶ He that handleth a matter wisely shall find good: and whoso trusteth in the LORD, happy is he. Pr 16:23 ¶ The heart of the wise teacheth his mouth, and addeth learning to his lips. Pr 17:2 ¶ A wise servant shall have rule over a son that causeth shame, and shall have part of the inheritance among the brethren. Pr 17:8 ¶ A gift is as a precious stone in the eyes of him that hath it: whithersoever it turneth, it prospereth. Pr 19:14 ¶ House and riches are the inheritance of fathers: and a prudent wife is from the LORD. Pr 21:11 ¶ When the scorner is punished, the simple is made wise: and when the wise is instructed, he receiveth knowledge. Pr 21:12 ¶ The righteous man wisely considereth the house of the wicked: but God overthroweth the wicked for their wickedness. Pr 21:16 ¶ The man that wandereth out of the way of understanding shall remain in the congregation of the dead. Isa 41:20 That they may see, and know, and consider, and understand together, that the hand of the LORD hath done this, and the Holy One of Israel hath created it. Isa 44:18 They have not known nor understood: for he hath shut their eyes, that they cannot see; and their hearts, that they cannot understand. Isa 52:13 ¶ Behold, my servant shall deal prudently, he shall be exalted and extolled, and be very high. Jer 3:15 And I will give you pastors according to mine heart, which shall feed you with knowledge and understanding. Jer 9:24 But let him that glorieth glory in this, that he understandeth and knoweth me, that I am the LORD which exercise lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness, in the earth: for in these things I delight, saith the LORD. Jer 10:21 For the pastors are become brutish, and have not sought the LORD: therefore they shall not prosper, and all their flocks shall be scattered. Jer 20:11 But the LORD is with me as a mighty terrible one: therefore my persecutors shall stumble, and they shall not prevail: they shall be greatly ashamed; for they shall not prosper: their everlasting confusion shall never be forgotten. Jer 23:5 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth. Jer 50:9 ¶ For, lo, I will raise and cause to come up against Babylon an assembly of great nations from the north country: and they shall set themselves in array against her; from thence she shall be taken: their arrows shall be as of a mighty expert man; none shall return in vain. Da 1:4 Children in whom was no blemish, but well favoured, and skilful in all wisdom, and cunning in knowledge, and understanding science, and such as had ability in them to stand in the king's palace, and whom they might teach the learning and the tongue of the Chaldeans. Da 1:17 ¶ As for these four children, God gave them knowledge and skill in all learning and wisdom: and Daniel had understanding in all visions and dreams. Da 9:13 As it is written in the law of Moses, all this evil is come upon us: yet made we not our prayer before the LORD our God, that we might turn from our iniquities, and understand thy truth. Da 9:22 And he informed me, and talked with me, and said, O Daniel, I am now come forth to give thee skill and understanding. Da 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times. Da 11:33 And they that understand among the people shall instruct many: yet they shall fall by the sword, and by flame, by captivity, and by spoil, many days. Da 11:35 And some of them of understanding shall fall, to try them, and to purge, and to make them white, even to the time of the end: because it is yet for a time appointed. Da 12:3 And they that be wise shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness as the stars for ever and ever. Da 12:10 Many shall be purified, and made white, and tried; but the wicked shall do wickedly: and none of the wicked shall understand; but the wise shall understand. Am 5:13 Therefore the prudent shall keep silence in that time; for it is an evil time.
Scriptures on Poverty
Matthew 26:11 — For ye have the poor always with you; but me ye have not always.
I'm gonna live the way He wants me to live I'm gonna give until there's just no more to give I'm gonna love, love till there's just no more love I could never, never out love the Lord
Written by William and Gloria Gaither 1972.