The War on Sin
TEXT: Titus 2:11-14, v.12
THESIS: The grace of God teaches us to live above sin. (It is never a license for sin. Jude 4)
Titus 2:11 ¶ For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, 12 Teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world; 13 Looking for that blessed hope, and the glorious appearing of the great God and our Saviour Jesus Christ; 14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works. 15 ¶ These things speak, and exhort, and rebuke with all authority. Let no man despise thee.
INTRODUCTION: Epistle to Titus Background
Tit 1:5—_For this cause left I thee in Crete, that thou shouldest set in order the things that are wanting…_
Crete was an island in the Mediterranean Sea. Crete means: carnal; fleshly
In common Greek speech, the expression, "to Cretanize," meant to tell lies;
Tit 1:12 _… a prophet of their own, said, **<span style="text-decoration:underline;">The Cretians are alway liars,</span>** evil beasts, slow bellies. 13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, <span style="text-decoration:underline;">that they may be sound in the faith;</span>_ 1. **Declare War and Recognize the dangers**, We must never take sin loosely, but SERIOUSLY.
The decision to go to war is always compelled by the extant of potential loss if action isn’t taken.
- **War on Terror Background **
SOME OBJECTIVES: (Operation Enduring Freedom)
- Identify, locate and destroy terrorists along with their organizations
- Deny sponsorship, support and sanctuary to terrorists
- Diminish the underlying conditions that terrorists seek to exploit
- Defend US citizens and interests at home and abroad
We are at War! (The devil wants to discredit the fact that we are at war.)
1. **The wages of is still death! Sin is an enemy!**
Ro 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
2. **EVERY sinner is in imminent danger of the wrath of God.** The language of Scripture concerning sin is very VIOLENT: **Language of War** * Dead to sin * Destroy the body of sin * Crucify the flesh * Mortify * Judge * Wrathful vengeance * Abomination
Ps 7:11 _God judgeth the righteous, and God is angry with the wicked every day. _
Abhor, even to foam at the mouth
2Pe 2:4 For if God spared not the angels that sinned, but cast them down to hell, and delivered them into chains of darkness, to be reserved unto judgment;
Ps 9:17 The wicked shall be turned into hell, and all the nations that forget God
3. **Sin places everything good and godly we have in jeopardy. Our soul, our salvation, our blessings! We stand in danger of losing all!** 4. **Sin is DESTRUCTIVE.** 1. Sin renders us as witnesses <span style="text-decoration:underline;">ineffective</span>. 2. Sin undermines our faith.
Titus 1:13 This witness is true. Wherefore rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith;
- Healthy, whole
The war must be personal.
Everyone is in need of DELIVERANCE --- redeemed from all iniquity
What should our disposition be toward sin? Seeking a deliverance from it! Sin is something to run hard from! Never toy with sin. Bring it immediately to the cross!
- 2:15 Let no man despise thee—Speak these things in such a way that NO ONE can feel they are above the need of admonition.
- Titus you ACT in such a way that you do not enable someone to despise your “right preaching & teaching” Live what you preach.
We must take sides against ourselves with Christ and His Holiness.
Know and believe the path to victory.
Denying ungodliness and Worldly Lusts
There are certainly things we must deny at any cost. Deny this flesh his lustful cravings and desire. REJECT, REFUSE—SAY NO!
Christian liberty is in part the ability to live above the law of sin and not God’s law!
Roman 7, Paul testified of a LAW working in him even as a zealously religious person that prevented him from the good he desired and drove him to the evil he hated. Paul was saying –HE HAD TO SIN.
But The power of this law is broken for BELIEVER who is characterized by NOT walking after the flesh, but walking after the SPIRIT. LIBERATED from the taskmaster of sin!
Joh 8:36 _If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be **<span style="text-decoration:underline;">free indeed</span>**._ Lu 4:18 _The Spirit of the Lord is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, **<span style="text-decoration:underline;">to set at liberty</span>** them that are bruised,_ Ro 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also **<span style="text-decoration:underline;">quicken your mortal bodies</span>** by his Spirit that dwelleth in you. Ro 6:6 _Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, **<span style="text-decoration:underline;">that henceforth we should not serve sin.</span>**_
**DENY**---Sin in the Believer’s life is always that which he ALLOWS. The devil cannot make the Christian sin.
- Live Soberly Righteously, and Godly in this present world.
Christian liberty is also the ability to do that which is right. We are free to do rightly!
1. **Our Good Works are Fruit of Salvation **
Jas 2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
<<Tit 3:5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; 6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; 7 That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life. 8 This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men.>>
In this Present World
In Relationship to Our Self — soberly
In Relationship to our neighbor — righteously
In Relationship to our Maker — godly
Believe and pursue total victory. -- “in this present world”
** Anything not purified in this life will not be purified in the next**
Provide no quarter and accept no compromise with the enemy.
Our denial of sin must be absolute! ZERO TOLERANCE
”The presence of terrorism anywhere in the world is a threat to our liberty.”
Incomplete Conquest is fatal. --- ISRAEL
We must not relent in our resolve against sin . The anser the first time must be the answer the 1000th time!
- IT IS POSSIBLE -- VICTORY OVER SIN IS ALWAYS POSSIBLE THROUGH CHRIST.
1Co 10:13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.
Php 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Because a sin offering has been made!
1Jo 2:1 ¶ My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
Gen. 4:7; “sin lieth at the door” or ACC “Sin-offering lieth at the door; Family Bible Notes:
Sin lieth at the door; according to some, crouched at thy door, like a beast of prey, ready to destroy thee; according to others, a sin-offering (such as I require) lieth at the door, by offering which in a right spirit, thou mayest gain my favor.
--“a sin offering in waiting, God provides atonement for sin. (as in Ho 4:8; 2Co 5:21; Heb 9:28).
SIN MUST BE DEALT WITH UNDER THE BLOOD OF JESUS!
4. **<span style="text-decoration:underline;">VICTORY OVER SIN is REQUIRED. God expects great things from us!</span>** 1Co 4:2 _Moreover it is **<span style="text-decoration:underline;">required</span>** in stewards, that a man be found faithful. (search will be made!)_ Col 4:12 _Epaphras, who is one of you, a servant of Christ, saluteth you, always labouring fervently for you in prayers, **<span style="text-decoration:underline;">that ye may stand perfect and complete in</span>** all the will of God. _ Titus 2:14—_Who gave himself for us, **<span style="text-decoration:underline;">that</span>** he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works._
- A peculiar people --- being beyond usual, living beyond status quo
- Zealous of good works -- jealous, strong affection of ‘good works”
As long as there is a parcel of territory we consider unconquerable in our life that is where the devil will always have a stronghold in our life and therefore be able to undermine every other victory.