Isa 51:1 — Hearken to me, ye that follow after righteousness, ye that seek the LORD: look unto the rock whence ye are hewn, and to the hole of the pit whence ye are digged. 2 Look unto Abraham your father, and unto Sarah that bare you: for I called him alone, and blessed him, and increased him.
- Hearken/Listen to Me
- look to the rock
- look to the pit/quarry
- look to Abraham and to Sarah -- I have come from somewhere. I am born into something.
- All Christians must face the same truths.
- Authentic, Real, What do I have? (Veneration, Worship, Discrimiation, Judgement, "good, bad", "right, wrong"
- In general, something is ‘right’ if it is morally obligatory, whereas it is morally ‘good’ if it is worth having or doing and enhances the life of those who possess it.
- Christian piety is ...
- Holiness, Justice, Mercy and Truth shine in the view of the sincere convert and God is loved for his intrinsic excellence. "The DIVINE EXCELLENCE" ( 1) God's Love) and the Human Condition (depravity?)
- The Law of God is viewed as Holy, Just and Good to the regenerated.
- All Christians are brought entirely to the Lord's side. "My heart is fixed." Layed down to the terms of discipleship. Arising an ardent thirsting for righteousness.
- True piety does not stop in mere desire, or attendance to religous duty, but continues in action -- benevolence to men, good will to men.
- Piety is the just recognition of all we owe to GOD, FAMILY and and by extension COUNTRY. In the modern world the word “piety” has come to be associated with being religious. And while it does have religious application, its original meaning was far wider and richer. The English word “piety” comes from the Latin pietas, which spoke of family love, and by extension love for one’s ancestors, of one’s country, and surely of God. Cicero defined pietas as the virtue “which admonishes us to do our duty to our country or our parents or other blood relations.” "Christian Piety and its Effects"
- CICERO "We are not islands; we are part of the mainland."
- The soul of individualism is unfettered choice where is piety is the recognition that I am not an island. (Abortion) -- We have significantly cut our ties with the past. Our ancestors, and antiquity have little to say to us since we have closed our eyes and ears to them.
A. What is a touchstone?
process is referred to as assaying. The assayer would draw a pure sample of the precious metal across the touchstone, leaving a streak. folowed by acid tedt. 10k and 14k acid.an 1. eye test 2. acid test 3. fire test
a piece of fine-grained dark schist or jasper formerly used for testing alloys of gold by observing the color of the mark which they made on it.
a standard or criterion by which something is judged or recognized:
- the premise is "a known good"
- The rock we were cut from. Reliable Comparison who will we be yet? Is this Christian?
- We desire the moving of the Spirit of God among us but that is operating in an unfamiliar unfit realm.
- For Comparing purity and quality. Mildly abrasive stone. Touchstone. Finely grained. Redder to yellow er the purity of Gold - ... A more accurate test is fire (acid test as well) ... But the touchstone is an outward test.
- The stone won't lie. Comparison of marks left on the touchstone.
- Assaying: determine the content or quality of (a metal or ore)
- Accuracy of reading a touchstone is subjective and not perfectly error free. Assaying
- it takes a certain persprctive to see the whole truth and applying princioles effectivrely. 3 points of viee (mine, feels reakky true 2. other persons view 3. fly in the wall view, gods point of view)
- fruit of spirit.
B. Comparing what is KNOWN with What is UNKNKOWN
Examples: Gideon and his fleece, David and sails armor, nation of Israel reminded of Abraham and Sarah.
Judgment. Discernment. Judge all things as spiritual. Personal and priesthood of home.
- There is so much confusion and men filling in details that God has NOT filled in in Scripture.
- Hippolytus of Rome, Sextus Julius Africanus, Irenaeus : 500 AD (based on dimensions of the Ark)
- Beatus of Liébana: 6 April 793 AD
- various including a pope: 1000 AD (1000 years from birth) or alternatively 1000 years from death ( 1033 AD)
- Thomas Müntzer (leader of the Anabaptists/Mennonites): "1525" marked the beginning of the millenial reign
- Michael Stifel (a matthemitician): Judgement Day would begin at 8:00 AM, 19 October 1533.
- Ann Lee: 1770 Ann Lee (Shakers) In the late 1700s, the United Society of Believers in Christ's Second Appearing also known as the Shakers, believed that the second coming of Christ would be through a woman. In 1770, Ann Lee became the leader of the Shakers and they believed she was revealed in "manifestation of Divine light" to be the second coming of Christ and was called Mother Ann.
- John Wesley Wesley: The founder of the Methodist Church, foresaw the Millennium beginning 1836. He wrote that Revelation 12:14 referred to the years 1058–1836, ("the half time: 1725 to 1836") "when Christ should come".
- 22 October 1844 William Miller, Millerites The fact that this failed to happen the way people were expecting was later referred to as the Great Disappointment. Some Millerites continued to set dates; others founded the Seventh-day Adventist Church and the Advent Christian Church, which continue to expect a soon Second Coming but no longer set dates for it. Followers of the Baháʼí Faith claim that Miller’s prediction of the year 1844 was in fact calculated correctly, and refers to the advent of the Báb.
- 1861 Joseph Morris Morris told his followers do not plant crops because he firmly believed that "Christ will come tomorrow."
- Jehovah's Witnesses: 1) 1874 Christ did return. or 2) 1914 Christ did return
- Joseph Smith: (Mormons) 1) 1890, 2) before I die, 3) no one knows
- Sun Myung Moon: 1917–1930 - The followers of Reverend Sun Myung Moon consider Reverend Moon to be the Lord of the Second Advent called by Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday at the age of 15 on a Korean mountainside (see Divine Principle).
- William Branham : Just before sunset on Feb. 28, 1963, residents of northwestern Arizona watched what witnesses and the newspaper called a "strikingly beautiful and mysterious cloud" glide across the desert. That same day, William Branham, climbed Sunset Mountain and claimed he met with seven angels who revealed to him the meaning of the seven seals from the Book of Revelation. Days later, Branham returned to his congregation at the Branham Tabernacle in Jeffersonville, Ind. He preached seven sermons in seven nights, explaining the meaning of the seals and the seven visions he had received, leading him to predict that Jesus would return to Earth in 1977.
- Hal Lindsey & Edgar C. Whisenant 1988 (Whisenant followed up with 1989.)
- David Karesh: (Waco, Texas) 1993 taught that he was the Lamb of God worthy to Open the Book and Break the 7 Seals. (Some Theologians defended David Karesh's interpretations as unique but still 'Christian')
- Harold Camping: Jesus would return: 1) 6 September 1994 and 2)21 May 2011 and then 3) 21 October 2011
- If people are freed to just make things up and call it "prophecy" but it abuses or is in disharmony with Scripture, we no longer are Christ Followers, we are no longer Christian.
Rules of Testing
- pruesthood of indivudual, home, church.
- tedting for truthiness
2 Peter 1:3 — According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2Pe 1:16 ¶ For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty. 17 For he received from God the Father honour and glory, when there came such a voice to him from the excellent glory, This is my beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.
WE HAVE (We are not waiting.)
2Pe 1:19 ¶ We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts: 20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation. 21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.
- Where is it written? Readers and students, Bible school
- place ourself under the text and not us changing the text.
- Is this biblical? The highest rule and last word is Gods word. The words of the Bible ...
- Some good discerning scriptures. 1pt 1:15,16: line God with all heart and neigbor as thyself; sell all and give to the poor;
- a touchtstone for the touchstone
- Spiritual Hearing: This is the ministry of the Holy Ghost "will guide you into all truth:" (John 16:13)
- Study & Mastery: 2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
- No prophecy and therefore, Scripture, is an island.
- Private Interpreations, Principles vs. Laws, Doctrine concerns things past, present, and future
- Humility is required
Always with love. The governing passion must be the selfless, uncondituinal love as demonstrated in Christ. It's this motivated and propelled by love? Not wordly ambition loving God and neighbors are inseparable.
3. ETERNAL PERSPECTIVE.
Living in the light of eternity. Does this stand in the light of eternity? Priority. Heaven and Hell both. Accepted of God? Received of God?
The ideal character and all virtue in measured by Jesus. Holiness, righteousness. Not comparison with one another. Does this harmonize with what we know of how Jesus lived? (Tempted in like points, form of student, ) How's your walk? My walk? Relationship. ----today ---- self inspection inward and outward consistent. Piety, Holiness, principles and not laws Piety: emphasis on devotional experience and practices", or an "affectation of devotion" --- holy living - sanctification.
Is this glorifying to God and neighbors good? What do we know as being glorifying to God? (No room for selfish ambition) we live for God's glory and our neighbors good. We know guys glory has fallen = results in our neighbors good. (Good Samaritan am I a good neighbor?)
6. Believers Testimony. Our witness and our life.
- Teaching for doctrine teaching of men. Through your tradition do undermine Scripture.
- "Anyone that won't be corrected by what's plain in scripture is antichrist" ????
2 Timothy 2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.
- Testifying of a simple Gospel.
educatuin complusoey ... massachussetts uswd nnational guard in 1850's
- prove all things
- Do not mistake our mutual faith as ORTHODOXY. As in our fellowship, we endeavor to make room for Biblical liberty among the brethren. Personal Priesthood.
Philippians 1 Duty, Oblication, Belonging
- v. 1 "Paul and Timotheous" "all saints" "with the bishops and deacons"; v.5 "Fellowship in the Gospel"
- v. 6 a good work begun and completed.
- v.18 either way, "Christ is preached"
- a) To Live is Christ: to know, to love, to follow Christ is my life, my glory, my joy
Php 1:21 ¶ For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain.
- v.25 'your furtherance' -- "I know" (prophecy?)
- v.27 DUTY "becometh the Gospel" suitableness and agreeableness to it
Matthew 11:29 — Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
1 Peter 5:5 — Likewise, ye younger, submit yourselves unto the elder. Yea, all of you be subject one to another, and be clothed with humility: for God resisteth the proud, and giveth grace to the humble.
The Christian life is derived from Christ, and directed to him. Christ is the principle, rule, and end of LIFE.
- There is a sameness of all Christians, Al receiving the same impression upon the heart. The difference is in how deep that impression is made. -- same evidences of the work of Grace.
- Their lives should answer their light,
- What the Gospel is, we profess and we become. Saints by profession should be saints indeed.
- Romans 1:7 invited to become --- called to be --- Invited to become holy persons, by believing the Gospel and receiving the gifts of the Holy Ghost.
READ: Php 1; 1 Chronicles 7:14 "MY People, Called by my name" (Man of God, Women of God, Child of God, Church of God ...)
Phil. 1:1 — Paul and Timotheus, the servants of Jesus Christ, to all the saints in Christ Jesus which are at Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:
- The word saints--agioi--means those who are holy, or those who are devoted or consecrated to God. The radical idea of the word is that which is separated from a common to a sacred use, and answers to the Hebrew word HEBREW --kadosh. The Christian is NOT just a sinner saved by grace. In Grace, the emphasis is on our calling.
I'm just a sinner, Saved by grace, When I stood condemned to death, He took my place, Now I live and breathe in freedom, With each breath of life I take, Loved and forgiven, Backed with a living, I'm just a sinner, Saved by grace
I was once a sinner, but I came, Pardon to receive from my Lord. This was freely given, and I found, That He always kept His word.
Saints (Romans 1:7; 1 Cor. 1:2; Phil. 1:1; Php 4:21; Col 1:26; Jude 3)
Saints in Light (Col 1:12)
Christians (Acts 11:26; Acts 26:28)
Believers (Acts 5:14; 1 Timothy 4:12)
Beloved of God ( Romans 1:7)
Beloved Brethren (1 Cor. 15:58; James 2:25)
Servants of Jesus Christ
Blessed of the Lord. ( "come in thou blessed of the Lord" Genesis 24:31; Genesis 26:29)
Blessed of the Father. (Matthew 25:34)
Brethren (Matthew 23:8; Acts 12:17 )
Brethren of Christ (Luke 8:21; John 20:17)
Called of Jesus Christ (Romans 1:6)
Children of the Lord (Deuteronomy 14:1)
Children of God (John 11:52; 1 John 3:10)
Children of the Living God (Romans 9:26)
Children of the Father (Matthew 5:45)
Children of the Highest (Luke 6:35)
Children of Abraham (Galatians 3:7)
Children of Jacob (Psalm 105:6)
Children of promise (Romans 9:8; Galatians 4:28)
Children of the free-woman (Galatians 4:31 So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.
Children of the kingdom (Matthew 13:38 The field is the world; the good seed are the children of the kingdom; but the tares are the children of the wicked one;
Children of Zion (Psalm 149:2; Joel 2:23)
Children of the bride-chamber (Matthew 9:15)
Children of light (Luke 16:8; Ephesians 5:8; 1 Thessalonians 5:5)
Children of the day (1 Thessalonians 5:5;)
Children of the resurrection (Luke 20:36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
Chosen generation (1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
Chosen ones (1 Chronicles 16:13 O ye seed of Israel his servant, ye children of Jacob, his chosen ones.
Chosen vessels (Acts 9:15 But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
Church (Members of, ekklesia, "the assembly", "the called out") (Acts 11:22; Ro 16:5; 1Co 16:19; 1Ti 3:15)
Body of Christ (Members of) ( 1 Co 12:2; Eph 5:23; Col 1:18; Col 1:24; Ro 12:4; 1Co 12:13)
Dear children (Ephesians 5:1 Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;
Disciples of Christ (John 8:31; John 15:8)
Elect of God (Colossians 3:12)
Titus 1:1 Paul, a servant of God, and an apostle of Jesus Christ, according to the faith of God's elect, and the acknowledging of the truth which is after godliness;
Epistles of Christ (2 Corinthians 3:3 Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart.
Excellent, The (Psalm 16:3 But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight.
Faithful brethren in Christ (Colossians 1:2 To the saints and faithful brethren in Christ which are at Colosse: Grace be unto you, and peace, from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.
Faithful, The (Psalm 12:1 Help, LORD; for the godly man ceaseth; for the faithful fail from among the children of men.
Faithful of the land (Psalm 101:6 Mine eyes shall be upon the faithful of the land, that they may dwell with me: he that walketh in a perfect way, he shall serve me.
Fellow-citizens with the saints (Ephesians 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
Fellow-heirs (Ephesians 3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
Fellow-servants (Revelation 6:11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.
Friends of God (2 Chronicles 20:7 Art not thou our God, who didst drive out the inhabitants of this land before thy people Israel, and gavest it to the seed of Abraham thy friend for ever?
James 2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
Friends of Christ (John 15:15 Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.
Godly, The (Psalm 4:3 But know that the LORD hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the LORD will hear when I call unto him.
2 Peter 2:9 The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished:
- Heirs of God (Romans 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
Galatians 4:7 Wherefore thou art no more a servant, but a son; and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
Heirs of the grace of life (1 Peter 3:7 Likewise, ye husbands, dwell with them according to knowledge, giving honour unto the wife, as unto the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life; that your prayers be not hindered.
Heirs of the kingdom (James 2:5 Hearken, my beloved brethren, Hath not God chosen the poor of this world rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom which he hath promised to them that love him?
Heirs of promise (Hebrews 6:17 Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:
Galatians 3:29 And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Heirs of salvation (Hebrews 1:14 Are they not all ministering spirits, sent forth to minister for them who shall be heirs of salvation?
Holy brethren (1 Thessalonians 5:27 I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren.
Hebrews 3:1 Wherefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our profession, Christ Jesus;
- Holy nation (Exodus 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.
1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
- Holy people (Deuteronomy 26:19 And to make thee high above all nations which he hath made, in praise, and in name, and in honour; and that thou mayest be an holy people unto the LORD thy God, as he hath spoken.
Isaiah 62:12 And they shall call them, The holy people, The redeemed of the LORD: and thou shalt be called, Sought out, A city not forsaken.
Holy priesthood (1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
Joint-heirs with Christ (Romans 8:17 And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.
Just, The (Habakkuk 2:4 Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.
Kings and priests unto God (Revelation 1:6 And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
Kingdom of priests (Exodus 19:6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.
Lambs (Isaiah 40:11 He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young.
John 21:15 So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my lambs.
Lights of the world (Matthew 5:14 Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.
Little children (John 13:33 Little children, yet a little while I am with you. Ye shall seek me: and as I said unto the Jews, Whither I go, ye cannot come; so now I say to you.
1 John 2:1 My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
Lively stones (1 Peter 2:5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.
Members of Christ (1 Corinthians 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.
Ephesians 5:30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
- Men of God (Deuteronomy 33:1 And this is the blessing, wherewith Moses the man of God blessed the children of Israel before his death.
1 Timothy 6:11 But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness.
2 Timothy 3:17 That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Obedient children (1 Peter 1:14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
Peculiar people (Deuteronomy 14:2 For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God, and the LORD hath chosen thee to be a peculiar people unto himself, above all the nations that are upon the earth.
Titus 2:14 Who gave himself for us, that he might redeem us from all iniquity, and purify unto himself a peculiar people, zealous of good works.
1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
- Peculiar treasure (Exodus 19:5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:
Psalm 135:4 For the LORD hath chosen Jacob unto himself, and Israel for his peculiar treasure.
- People of God (Hebrews 4:9 There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God.
1 Peter 2:10 Which in time past were not a people, but are now the people of God: which had not obtained mercy, but now have obtained mercy.
People near unto God (Psalm 148:14 He also exalteth the horn of his people, the praise of all his saints; even of the children of Israel, a people near unto him. Praise ye the LORD.
People saved by the Lord (Deuteronomy 33:29 Happy art thou, O Israel: who is like unto thee, O people saved by the LORD, the shield of thy help, and who is the sword of thy excellency! and thine enemies shall be found liars unto thee; and thou shalt tread upon their high places.
Pillars in the temple of God (Revelation 3:12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.
Ransomed of the Lord (Isaiah 35:10 And the ransomed of the LORD shall return, and come to Zion with songs and everlasting joy upon their heads: they shall obtain joy and gladness, and sorrow and sighing shall flee away.
Redeemed of the Lord (Isaiah 51:11 Therefore the redeemed of the LORD shall return, and come with singing unto Zion; and everlasting joy shall be upon their head: they shall obtain gladness and joy; and sorrow and mourning shall flee away.
Royal priesthood (1 Peter 2:9 But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light:
Salt of the earth (Matthew 5:13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
Servants of Christ (1 Corinthians 7:22 For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.
Ephesians 6:6 Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but as the servants of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart;
Servants of righteousness (Romans 6:18 Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness.
Sheep of Christ (John 10:1-16 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. 2 But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. 3 To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. 4 And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. ...
John 21:16 He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep.
- Sojourners with God (Leviticus 25:23 The land shall not be sold for ever: for the land is mine; for ye are strangers and sojourners with me.
Psalm 39:12 Hear my prayer, O LORD, and give ear unto my cry; hold not thy peace at my tears: for I am a stranger with thee, and a sojourner, as all my fathers were.
- Sons of God (John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
Philippians 2:15 That ye may be blameless and harmless, the sons of God, without rebuke, in the midst of a crooked and perverse nation, among whom ye shine as lights in the world;
1 John 3:1-2 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. 2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
The Lord's freemen (1 Corinthians 7:22 For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant.
Trees of righteousness. (Isaiah 61:3 To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he might be glorified.
Vessels unto honor. (2 Timothy 2:21)
Vessels of mercy ( Romans 9:23 )
Witnesses for God. (Isaiah 44:8)
But also, "the choice" that Paul faced.
v.28 "adversary" Its not that in prosperous american church our sufferings for Christ are now "hangnails", but that our adversary although his mission the same, the tactics are slightly different. His intentions are the same ... leet go of faith ... forget God ... deny Christ (whether in word or deed it makes no difference to the enemy) ... etc.
v. 28 Your fearlessness will be A SIGN OF 1) They are in the way of perdition and 2) you in the way of salvation. ---