Set Up a Standard
Set Up a Standard
Most Jeremiah's prophecies were literally fulfilled and during his lifetime. The literal nations of Babylon, Egypt and etc. faced the judgment of God, but also in the Panorama of this HISTORY is an MESSAGE for the church's present and future.
- The Illusion of Safety
- The death of a nation
- Mind the Prophet as well as the Priest.
- Where can we go?
Ps 121:1 ¶ <<A Song of degrees. [steps, sung during journeys to Jerusalem]>> I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. 2 My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth.
- Get Ready to Leave
Jer 51:6 Flee out of the midst of Babylon, and deliver every man his soul: be not cut off in her iniquity; for this is the time of the LORD'S vengeance; he will render unto her a recompence.
- How is the hammer broken? The Breaking of the Hammer
Jer 50:23 How is the hammer of the whole earth cut asunder and broken! how is Babylon become a desolation among the nations!
Jeremiah 51:12 — Set up the standard upon the walls of Babylon, make the watch strong, set up the watchmen, prepare the ambushes: for the LORD hath both devised and done that which he spake against the inhabitants of Babylon.
Jeremiah's ministry was to MARK OUT EVIL.
Context of Jeremiah 51
- Born the song of Hilkiah (1:1). Which probably was the Hilkiah the High Priest (2 Kings 22:8).
- Jeremiah began his ministry young (1:6 "I am a child") which was in the 13th year of King Josiah's reign (1:2) ASSUMING 17 years old.
- Jeremiah lived through the reigns of JOSIAH, JEHOAHAZ, JEHOIAKIM, JECONIAH, and ZEDEKIAH. Human leaders come and go but the Lord is truly King!
- @17 => Jeremiah begins prophesying
- @35 => King Josiah dies, Jehoahaz reigns 3 mo. before being carried away into Egypt where he dies.
- @39 => 1st Carrying away to Babylon (Daniel 1:1)
- @40 => Jeremiah warns of 70 year captivity. (Jer. 25:8-14)
- @46 => 2nd Carrying away to Babylon (Ezekiel 1:1)
- @50 => False prophet Hananiah predicts only 2 years of captivity. God kills him.
- @57 => SIEGE OF JERUSALEM. Jeremiah was locked up in the court of the guard. While there God told him to BUY LAND FROM HIS COUSIN and take all the "deeds" and put them in an earthen vessel. Don't forget our true inheritance and do not fear Babylon's reign. (32:8, 27, 44) 3rd Carrying away to Babylon. Jerusalem destroyed. Jeremiah remains in Judah.
- @58 => After further rebellion against the Chaldeans and some infighting a a remnant petitions Jeremiah. The Word of God comes "Do not flee to Egypt, Stay in the Land" (42:19). Jeremiah was taken to Egypt by force. (Jeremiah 43:4-7). In Egypt God gives the word of great stones hidden in clay. (43:9) === Egypt, Philistia, Moab, Ammon, Edom, Damascus, Kedar, Elam, Babylon will be judged.
Jer 50:2 Declare ye among the nations, and publish, and set up a standard; publish, and conceal not: say, Babylon is taken, Bel is confounded, Merodach is broken in pieces; her idols are confounded, her images are broken in pieces.
Jer 50:45 Therefore hear ye the counsel of the LORD, that he hath taken against Babylon; and his purposes, that he hath purposed against the land of the Chaldeans: Surely the least of the flock shall draw them out: surely he shall make their habitation desolate with them.
vs. 51 God declares He is goind to rise up AGAINST Babylon the place and those that dwell in the heart of it using a DESTROYING wind
God's people live for a time in Babylon but are exhorted not to become a part of it.