The Hope Set Before Us
Hebrews 6:17-20 — Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath: 18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us: 19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil; 20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
UNCERTAIN HOPE Cults produce uncertainties instead of certain hope—could be, maybe, someday, possibly, might be, etc.
For what can we reasonably hope?
Christian Hope is NOT MERE OPTIMISM.
What is THE HOPE provided in the Gospel?
There are these things Birthed in the Heart of the Giver Himself, set before us as PROMISES from Him and as HOPE to us.
We can hope against hope, beyond all reason.
But is All that we can hope for just our heart speaking and crying out?
There is a HOPE SET BEFORE US. We are not creating our own reality, but we are TAKING REFUGE in the reality possible through Jesus.
HOPE: to anticipate with pleasure and expectation, faith
The Hope Set Before Us is Established on Unchanging Truths
Hebrews 6:17-20 — Wherein God, willing more abundantly to shew unto the heirs of promise the immutability of his counsel, confirmed it by an oath:
- vs. 17, - Heirs of Promise, but not just things for which we could imagine but of PROMISE.
- Immutable Counsel (Unchanging)(advice, purpose,will)
- Heirs of PROMISE and not mere DREAMERS
- Constant, Monumental
- Confirmed his Counsel by an Oath
- Not the Imaginations of man, but THUS SAITH THE LORD. What has God's said?
- It is ESSENTIAL that we seek after the knowledge of the COUNSEL of God.
2 Corinthians 6:16 — And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
- For Christians the story does not begin, "I started searching for God." but it begins, "He came looking for me."
The Hope Set Before Us is to be Obtained in our Escape
18 That by two immutable things, in which it was impossible for God to lie, we might have a strong consolation, who have fled for refuge to lay hold upon the hope set before us:
- vs. 18
- "a strong consolation" "fled for refuge"
- We have no claim to the HOPE provided in the Gospel unless we are taking advantage of the COVERING provided in the Gospel. FLED and taking REFUGE.
"My Hope is Built on Nothing Less than Jesus' Blood and Righteousness ..."
- Because I have taken REFUGE in Him, I therefore do HAVE A HOPE SET BEFORE ME.
The Hope Set Before Us Anchors our Very Souls
19 Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and stedfast, and which entereth into that within the veil;
- vs. 19a
- "Both Sure and steadfast"
- This Anchor, Anchors me.
Wednesday, May 21, 2003, a date that probably isn't all that important to us, but on that day, a massive earthquake hit Algeria.
- That earthquake measured 6.8 on the Richter scale
- and killed over 1000 people.
- 150 miles away there was a yacht anchored in Porto Petro Bay in Majorca, Spain, and it was hit by the violent aftershocks of that earthquake.
- The yacht was buffeted fiercely by the waves as were 10 other yachts that were moored nearby.
- Now all 10 of those yachts were ripped from their mooring and crashed into one another and into the rocks of the harbor, totally destroying each one,
- but that one yacht's anchor held firm for two hours as it was being lashed by the waves.
The Hope Set Before Us Lies WITHIN the Veil
- Unsureness, Can I hope for this? "You go" no, "You go"
- A Forerunner has already for us entered.
20 Whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus, made an high priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec.
- vs. 19a-20
Ro 8:37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 38 For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.