Rules for Living
Text: 1 Samuel 17:38-51, —
Introduction - What are the Means by which God Accomplishes his Work in our life?
1Sa 17:38 And Saul armed David with his armour, and he put an helmet of brass upon his head; also he armed him with a coat of mail. 39 And David girded his sword upon his armour, and he assayed to go; for he had not proved it. And David said unto Saul, I cannot go with these; for I have not proved them. And David put them off him.
- David was concerned with going into battle equipped with unproven implements — what is the fruit?
- proved: tested, tried, attempt
- Genesis 22:1 God PROVED Abraham with "Give me thy son"
- Exodus 15 at Marah God PROVED Israel with the Bitter Waters
- Exodus 16, God Sends Manah (Once a day) to PROVE them
- Daniel 1, Daniel and his 3 friends were PROVEN 10 days
2 Timothy 4:5 — But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.
to carry out fully (in evidence), i.e. completely assure (or convince), entirely accomplish:--most surely believe, fully know (persuade), make full proof of.
Romans 4:21 "being fully persuaded"
Romans 14:5 "Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind"
2 Timothy 4:17 "by me the preaching might be fully known"
Paul to Timothy, Carry Through --- Complete Entirely
RULES FOR LIFE, not a doctrine exactly, but an axiom, a proverb, a map key
What can we know is useful for: - Draw Near to God, mature, perfect our faith, love, and character? What has God ordained to for these purposes?
Eph 4:29 Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.
2Ti 2:21 If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.
Godly disciplines, means of grace (Not everything is useful for Godliness.)
What are the means of God's grace? (methods,tools,devices) acts 2:42 -- worship - less familiar with doctrine - fellowship - word lords supper, centered ministry--> ordinary means of grace : teaching preaching gospel ,
the means by which God grows and builds his church and we worship him and by which the great commission is filled. .... No gimmicks. ... Trust God.
Acts 2:42 — And they continued stedfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
I. The Word of God
Luther: For feelings come and feelings go, And feelings are deceiving; My warrant is the Word of God - Naught else is worth believing.
I'll trust in God's unchanging Word Till soul and body sever, For, though all things shall pass away, His Word shall stand forever!
Nailed pulpit to the floor : Dr. Martin Loyd Jonnes. ...thinking about building church, tell everyone pastor will be preaching in swim trunks next Sunday.
- The word helps us do the work vs the word doing the work ... He sent his word and he healed him
- Not Gimmicks but WORD CENTERED efforts
The Bible is a great and comprehensive library and we can adopt rules not to replace the WORD but remind us of it.
- John Wesley: 1) Do No Harm 2) Do Good 3) Stay in the Love of Christ
I. Do No Harm
Romans 12:17 — Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men.
II. Do Good
- What honors God?
- Prayer,reading,giving,love,acts of obedience etc.
Do all the good you can, By all the means you can, In all the ways you can, In all the places you can, At all the times you can, To all the people you can, As long as ever you can.” -- John Wesley
III. Stay in the Love of God
- Where does true faith come from? Worked in our hearts By the Holy Spirit, throughy the preaching of the gospel
- First off, you have to consider that “love” is more than an emotion or feeling; it’s also an action.
- Do this by spending TIME with God.
God must draw so respond when he does
What does that look feel like
What can I do to draw nesr
2 peter 1
2 cor6:1 receive grace not in vain
Professing Christian Titus 1:16 the profession of faith is good unless it is incongruent with our lives.
The engrafted word is needed to be spiritually fruitful ..." God can use a donkey"
FJohn Wesley’s 3 Simple Rules are: 1. Do No Harm 2. Do Good 3. Stay in Love with God
The Word of God .... Personification