Importance of the Resurrection
- TITLE: The Importance of the Resurrection
- TEXT: Matthew 28; Mark 16; Luke 24; John 20
- DATE: 20120408SS
Ro 6:5 For if we have been planted together in the likeness of his death, we shall be also in the likeness of his resurrection:
1Co 15:21 For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead.
Php 3:10 That I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death;
- Christ’s Death & Resurrection was God’s Perfect Design for Redemption of Mankind
(near Caesarea Philippi) Mt 16:21-28; Mr 8:31-38; 9:1; Lu 9:22-27
(in Galilee) Mt 17:22,23; Mr 9:30-32; Lu 9:43-45
The resurrection of Christ was NOT an opportunist’s tale. (i.e., Someone took advantage of the confusion of the time make up a fascinating story.)
The Resurrection was the plan and will of God!
Re 13:8 And all that dwell upon the earth shall worship him, whose names are not written in the book of life of the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world.
- Christ’s Death—Where was Jesus’ Spirit while His Body was in the grave?
- The price had been paid as promised! Joh 19:30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.
KEY: Matthew 27 & 28, Mark 15 &16, Luke 23 &24, and John 19 & 20 do not give much details if any concerning the period of time that Christ’s spirit was separated from His Body. The EMPHASIS in these passages is the DEATH of CHRIST and the RESURRECTION of CHRIST. We must maintain the SAME EMPHASIS.
Because of the apparent mystery of this period (because of his secondary importance) much false doctrine has been concocted concerning it.
- FIRST, What Did NOT Happen-- “Weekend in Hell”
_Word of Faith theology has completely rewritten and redefined the atonement. _(Popularized by the modern leaders of the Faith Movement, especially Kenneth Copeland and Kenneth Hagin.) The Word of Faith movement’s doctrine of the visit of Christ to Hell is a full-scale attack on the efficacy of the Cross. In their version, Christ dies spiritually on the Cross as well as physically, and is transported to Hell to be tormented by demonic forces for three days as a final payment on the atonement. Jesus is abused by demons for three days, and wanders around hell in disgrace as a kind of “wormy, washed-up shell of a spirit,” until God allows Him to speak the “faith word” and overcome His enemies. “Jesus is “born again” in Hell”. <<John 19:30—“It is finished.” Atonement was COMPLETE.>>
SECOND, What Scripture does say
- KEY PASSAGES TO GUIDE OUR STUDY—
- Ec 12:6_ Or ever the silver cord be loosed, or the golden bowl be broken, or the pitcher be broken at the fountain, or the wheel broken at the cistern.Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it. (2 Cor. 5:8)_
- Mt 27:50 ¶ Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. 51 And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;52 And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, 53 And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many. (Jesus did not have to descend to hell in order to accomplish the resurrection of O.T. Saints—the Believer’s HOPE. Acts 24:15” Remember the IMPORTANCE OF THE CROSS! These saints rose as a witness to the COMPLETENESS of the cross and atonement!
“TODAY thou be with me in paradise” Luke 22:43
- The Fact of Abraham’s Bosom Luke 16:19-31
22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried; (a place for the unresurrected O.T. Saints)
- KEY PASSAGES TO GUIDE OUR STUDY—
1Pe 3:18 ¶ For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit: 19 By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison; 20 Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water. 21 ¶ The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ: 22 Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God; angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.
Eph 4:8-10 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. 9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? 10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) <His ascension was to Heaven and the gifts was the Holy Ghost ten days later!)
No Where in Scripture is it said or inferred that the devil had the keys of ‘death and hell.’ God has always been in possession of them!
Revelation 1:18--_I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death._
Arises from the dead (just outside Jerusalem)
Mt 28:2-15; Mr 16:1-11; Lu 24:1-12; Joh 20:1-18
NOT A FRAUD! From the Cross to the Sepulcher Mark 15:43-47; John 19:38-42 (Pilate, Joseph, Nicodemus all knew JESUS WAS INDEED DEAD.)
- It was the ‘preparation’ (i.e.day before the Sabbath) Important to lay Christ’s body to rest before the Sabbath.
- It had been 3 days, not a few hours (fainted, coma, etc.) THIS WAS A SIGN: Mt 12:38 ¶ Then certain of the scribes and of the Pharisees answered, saying, Master, we would see a sign from thee. 39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:40 For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.
- It was the First Day of the Week.
- Too Important not have been Witnessed by Many! God left nothing to chance or mystery concerning the fact of Christ’s resurrection.Those Who Saw Jesus After He Resurrected:
- Mary Magdalene (first evangelists of the resurrection!)** Luke 24:1-11**
- Appears to two disciples who journey to the village of Emmaus** Luke 24:13-3**5
- Is seen by Peter (near Jerusalem) Luke 24:34
- Appears in the midst of the disciples, when Thomas was absent (in Jerusalem)** Luke 24:36-49**
- Appears to his disciples, when Thomas was present (in Jerusalem) John 20:26-29
- Appears to his disciples at Lake Galilee** Mt 28:16**
- Appears to the apostles and more than five-hundred followers on a mountain in Galilee** Mt 28:16-20**
- Appears to James and also to all the apostles (in Jerusalem**) Acts 1:3-8**
- Appears to Paul (on the road to Damascus) Acts 9:3-17
- Appears to the Apostle John (on Patmos Island)** Revelation 1:10-18**
- The resurrection was the seal that He Keeps His Promises. HE WILL RETURN and judge this world. The resurrection is the seal of authenticity of the GOSPEL.
1Co 15:12 ¶ Now if Christ be preached that he rose from the dead, how say some among you that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there be no resurrection of the dead, then is Christ not risen: 14 And if Christ be not risen, then is our preaching vain, and your faith is also vain. 15 Yea, and we are found false witnesses of God; because we have testified of God that he raised up Christ: whom he raised not up, if so be that the dead rise not. 16 For if the dead rise not, then is not Christ raised: 17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith is vain; ye are yet in your sins. 18 Then they also which are fallen asleep in Christ are perished. 19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. 20 ¶ But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.