God Speaks in the Night
TEXT: 1 Samuel 3:1-10 [SAMUEL]; 1 Kings 19:11,12 [ELIJAH]; John 12:27-30 [JESUS];
[Do not beleager the points. Keep moving.]
THEME: We are going to consider in paralell 3 experiences when God spoke in the night. God spoke audible over Jesus life 3 times, God spoke to Samuel and Elijah in the night.
Joh 12:27 ¶ Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour. 28 Father, glorify thy name. Then came there a voice from heaven, saying, I have both glorified it, and will glorify it again. 29 The people therefore, that stood by, and heard it, said that it thundered: others said, An angel spake to him. 30 Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.
1. The Night
- We need to hear God's voice.
- comfort 2 Cor. 1:3-4 "he is the God of all comfort"
- There is a process to learning God's voice and trials are part of that process.
- God chose you for this season
- There is no doubt that God is speaking. Are we listening for him?
- Are Peering in from edges or living in fullness?
- Are we doing what we can to be a part of the conversation?
I. For Your Sakes
- [JESUS] my soul is troubled, for your sakes
- Jesus was to be crucified.
There confusion, their heart condition effected their ability to understand the message. to hear clearly. Some are going to hear God clearly today. Not all. But some will. - Some said it thundered - Some said an angel spake to Him - This VOICE, came for YOU not me.
2. The Lamp of God was Going Out
[SAMUEL] spiritual sleep is all I've ever known,
Samuel was just a child. The greatest spark of spiritual life in Samuel's life was Eli and he was dieing while Samuel was just a child.
- just before the lamp of God went out,
- Eli was dieing, Samuel was a sleeping prophet.
3. Just Let me Die
1Ki 19:1 ¶ And Ahab told Jezebel => all that Elijah had done (mabye somewhat innnocently.) //=> but 2 Then Jezebel ... [Communicating with evil. Evil conversation inpsires evil actions. Fuels it.]
- "Get thee behind me satan"
- "answered them not a word"
[ELIJAH] let me die i'm no better than others)
- Elijah went to the wilerness to die.
- distracted by what the enemy was saying
II. The Voice
- Revelation 1:15 his voice as the sound of many waters
1. Israel's Opportunity
- Everyone has an opinion God's voice settles the debate.
- God leads us with HIs voice. (With authority and comfort) Who are we going to follow?
- God's voice is HEARD differently, but different people. OUR own condition, influences the message.
- Genesis 3:10 HIs voice causes dread to the sinner. (Unrepented sin as. Every shadow and noise, anxiety, no peace. Jumpy)
- With His voice, comes CHANGE. (creation, lazarus, "it is finished")
2. Samuel's Awakening
- precious, rare at times: 1 Samuel 3:1 THE LIGHT OF GOD His enduring presence as the REVEALER of truth.
- [FLICKERing lights]Inconsistencies:
- Eli honored his sons above God. 1 Samuel 2:29 <-- nameless prophet spoke
- Samson, to Eli, To _____? Is the light going out? (normal? The night almost over, lamps had been burning all night, its only norml.)
- God's voice awakened a sleeping prophet.
3. Elijah's Recovery
Elijah ran for his life hearing the THREATS of the enemy. v3 " went for his life"
left his servant in JUDAH ---- and himself went a day's journey into the wilderness to die. (He had given up.) v.4
- While he slept: an angel touched him and said "Arise and Eat" v.5
- There was a Cake baking and water at hand.
vs. 11,12 God is getting Elijah's ATTENTION.
- Every thought why attention is somethig to be "paid"?
A Cake Baking on the Coals, Water at Hand, A Nudge in the side, "Arise and Eat"
went in the strength of that meat forty days and forty nights unto Horeb the mount of God.
1Ki 19:9 ¶ And he came thither unto a cave, and lodged there; and, behold, the word of the LORD came to him, and he said unto him, What doest thou here, Elijah?
- And he said, Go forth, and stand upon the mount before the LORD.
- the LORD passed by,
- and a great and strong wind rent the mountains, and brake in pieces the rocks before the LORD;
- earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake:
- a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire
- a still small voice.
3 Times God the Father Spoke Audibly Over Jesus
- Mattthew 3:17 -- @Baptism, Coronation in the midst of a power struggle (Rome, Herod (tyrant), Religious leaders, a voice crying in the wilderness.) = rebellion
- Matthew 17:5 - @Mount of Transfiguration = blindness
- John 12:28,29 - @Jesus prayer concerning his death == confusion
God leas His dear children along
In shady, green pastures so rich and so sweet God leads His dear children along
Where the water's cool flow bathes the weary one's feet God leads His dear children along
Some through the water, some through the flood Some through the fire, but all through the blood
And some through great sorrow, but God gives the song In the night season and all the day long
Sometimes on the mount where the sun shines so bright God leads His dear children along
Sometimes in the valley, in darkest of night God leads His dear children along
Though sorrows befall us and Satan oppose God leads His dear children along
Through grace we can conquer, defeat all our foes God leads His dear children along
Some through the waters, some through the flood Some through the fire, but all through the blood
Some through great sorrow, but God gives the song In the night season and all the day long
Occasions when God Spoke in the Night
- Genesis 1:2,3 LET THERE BE LIGHT